Gateaux aux pommes
This weeks recipe comes from Alice, who is a volunteer at the Eddington Eats community restaurant at Storey’s Field Centre and has been an Eddington resident for 1 year and 2 months.
Hi, my name is Alice and, like Lis, I love to cook. Since the beginning of its adventure, I have followed the development of Eddington Eats and participated as much as I could to help Lis make it a success. Cooking together for our neighbours has been an amazing experience and I have learnt a lot amongst the volunteers. Unfortunately, in this period of pandemic, we can’t meet and share a diner together as we have all moved to home working and self-isolation. But, this is an opportunity to test new recipes. And here is my new invention: an apple cake!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
75g almond powder
50g flour or cornflour
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, almond powder, flour, melted butter and the vanilla extract and mix everything together until well combined.
- Cut the apples in little cubes. Add the apples to the mixture and mix.
- Grease the baking tin with butter and fill the tin with the mixture.
- Place the baking tin on the middle/upper shelf of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
It is best to let the cake cool down completely before eating. Serve with melted chocolate. Bon appétit!
Alice also recommends substituting apple with other fruits such as pear or tinned peach, or for a stronger flavour substituting the vanilla extract with almond extract and rum.
Mixing the batter.
Here's the cake fresh out of the oven.
Serve with some freshly made melted chocolate sauce!